4 Ways To Tell Trump and Congress #HandsOffDC
Posted by Elissa Silverman on February 12, 2017 at 10:13 AM
Congress is voting TOMORROW evening on a bill to prevent D.C. from implementing Death With Dignity, legislation passed by an overwhelming majority of the D.C. Council last fall and signed into law by Mayor Bowser. Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), Chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, will hold a markup of the disapproval resolution Monday evening to repeal this District law—and this isn’t the first time it’s happened. Women’s reproductive health rights, the District’s common-sense gun laws, and voter-passed marijuana initiatives have also been challenged.
As you may have read in my newsletter last week, this is the first of what looks to be many more attempts by this Congress to undermine the District’s authority and the rights of our residents.
It’s now more important than ever to rally! My colleagues and I are doing all we can to protect our city’s well-being, but we need your help!
Here are four immediate things you can do to tell Congress to do their job and leave D.C. alone:
1. Attend a rally and protest on Monday (tomorrow) at 5:00 p.m. at Lower D Park near South Capitol Street and C Street SW (Spirit of Justice Park on Google Maps). This will be on the south side of Rayburn House Office Building where Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) will hold a markup of the disapproval resolution as Chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. His committee “oversight” apparently includes meddling in District affairs and repealing existing District laws. The rally will be held even if the markup is rescheduled.
2. Attend a community #HandsOffDC strategy and update meeting on Monday (tomorrow) at 6:30 p.m. at the Atlas Performing Arts Center (1333 H Street NE).
3. Attend the Statehood Coalition Lobby Day on Wednesday, February 15, anytime from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. on Capitol Hill. Over 70 residents have already signed up to tell Congress to let D.C. residents decide how to spend D.C. dollars. This is a great opportunity for first-timers—no lobbying experience necessary!
4. Call, tweet, and/or email TODAY AND TOMORROW the list below of Republican Congress members from states with Death With Dignity laws and, politely but firmly, tell them that you didn’t elect them to run District affairs and that you want them to respect the autonomy of District residents and legislators by keeping their hands off of our laws. Please share this list far and wide.
Many of you have asked how you can make a difference. Now is the time to be active! I hope you will join me in participating in all of these activities and continuing to make it clear to Congress that we expect them to keep their #HandsOffDC.
Thanks in advance. See you tomorrow.
Chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee
Jason Chaffetz | (202) 225-7751, extension option 3 or 4 | @jasoninthehouse | https://chaffetz.house.gov/contact/
Select Republican Congress Members of the House
- Greg Walden | (202) 225-6730 | @repgregwalden | https://walden.house.gov/contact-greg/email-me
- Jamie Herrera Beutler | (202) 225-3536 | @HerreraBeutler | http://herrerabeutler.house.gov/contact/
- Dan Newhouse | (202) 225-5816 | @RepNewhouse | https://newhouse.house.gov/contact
- Cathy McMorris Rodgers | (202) 225-2006 | @cathymcmorris | https://mcmorris.house.gov/contact/
- Dave Reichert | (202) 225-7761 | @davereichert | https://reichert.house.gov/contact-me/email-me
- Ryan Zinke | (202) 225-3211 | @RepRyanZinke | https://zinke.house.gov/contact
- Doug LaMalfa | (202) 225-3076 | @RepLaMalfa | https://lamalfa.house.gov/contact/email-me
- Tom McClintock | (202) 225-2511 | @RepMcClintock |https://mcclintock.house.gov/contact/email-me
- Col. Paul Cook | (202) 225-5861 | @RepPaulCook | http://cookforms.house.gov/contact/
- Jeff Denham | (202) 225-4540 | @RepJeffDenham | https://denham.house.gov/contact-me/email-me
- David G. Valadao | (202) 225-4695 | @RepDavidValadao | http://valadao.house.gov/contact/
- Devin Nunes | (202) 225-2523 | @Rep_DevinNunes | https://nunes.house.gov/contactform/
- Kevin McCarthy | (202) 225-2915 | @GOPLeader | https://kevinmccarthy.house.gov/contact/email-me
- Steve Knight | (202) 225-1956 | @RepresentativeSteveKnight | http://knight.house.gov/contact/email/
- Ed Royce | (202) 225-4111 | @RepEdRoyce | http://royce.house.gov/contact/zipcheck.htm
- Ken Calvert | (202) 225-1986 | @KenCalvert | http://calvert.house.gov/contact/
- Mimi Walters | : (202) 225-5611 | @RepMimiWalters | https://walters.house.gov/contact/email
- Dana Rohrabacher | (202) 225-2415 | @DanaRohrabacher | https://rohrabacher.house.gov/contact/email-me
- Duncan Hunter | (202) 225-5672 | @Rep_Hunter | https://hunter.house.gov/contact-me/email-me
- Scott Tipton | (202) 225-4761 | @RepTipton | https://tipton.house.gov/contact-me/email-me
- Ken Buck | (202) 225-4676 | @RepKenBuck | https://buck.house.gov/contact/email
- Doug Lamborn | (202) 225-4422 | @RepDLamborn | http://lamborn.house.gov/contact/
- Mike Coffman | (202) 225-7882 | @RepMikeCoffman | https://coffmanforms.house.gov/contact/
Newsletter: Finishing the Year Strong
December 11, 2018