Unemployment Insurance Roundtable: December 9, 2020
On Wednesday, December 9 at 9:00am, Councilmember Elissa Silverman, Chairperson of the Committee on Labor and Workforce Development, will hold a public oversight roundtable before the Committee on the District’s unemployment compensation program. The roundtable will consider the challenges District workers continue to face in applying for unemployment insurance benefits under expanded programs available during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Tune in via DC Cable Channel 13 or online at www.dccouncil.us.
Those who wish to testify must sign up no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, December 7, 2020, by providing their information using this link. Witnesses must provide their name, email address, telephone number, organizational affiliation (if any), and job title (if any), as well whether they require language interpretation or sign language interpretation. Witnesses who require language interpretation or sign language interpretation are asked to complete the form linked above or email the Labor Committee at [email protected] as soon as possible, but no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 2, 2020, stating their need for interpretation and requested language.
If anyone is unable to testify at the roundtable, written statements will be made a part of the official record. Written statements should be submitted by email to [email protected] Additionally, the public may provide testimony by voice mail by calling (202) 455-0153, stating and spelling the witness’s name, stating any organizational affiliation, and speaking slowly to provide a statement to be transcribed and included in the record. The record will close at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 23, 2020.
Witness List and Testimony:
- Dr. Unique Morris-Hughes, Department of Employment Services, government witness (not appearing)
- Caitlin Schiavoni, public witness
- Zachary Hoffman, Executive Vice President, DC Bar & Restaurant Workers Alliance
- Andrew Shapiro, Owner/President, K&B Sodas
- Monika Stumpo, public witness
- Drake Hagner, Supervising Attorney, Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia
- Jamaal Washington Robinson, public witness
- Ashley Young, public witness
- Margaret C. Holmes, public witness
- Christian Kloc, public witness
- Ryan O'Leary, public witness