Happy Fourth of July!
Posted by Elissa Silverman on July 03, 2017 at 12:50 PM
Happy Fourth of July! My staff and I are getting excited about joining neighbors tomorrow at the 16th Annual Barracks Row 4th of July Parade and the Palisades Citizens Association's 51st Annual July 4th Parade and Picnic.
Neighborhood Parades: If you're interested in walking with us tomorrow, please do! For Barracks Row, half of my office will meet at 9:30 a.m. at 8th and I Streets SE. For Palisades, the other half will meet at 10:30 a.m. on Whitehaven Pkwy NW (between Foxhall Rd and MacArthur Blvd behind The Lab School of Washington). All you need to bring is your patriotism—and maybe your dancing shoes.
Enjoying Fireworks: As you kick off your Independence Day celebrations this weekend, please keep in mind a few reminders about firework facts and safety in the District:
- There is a limited list of permitted fireworks that the Metropolitan Police Department allows in the District, including small sparklers (not more than 20 inches long), torches, cones, box fires, and fountains.
- Any firework that moves, explodes, or emits a spark or flame greater than 12 feet is not permitted in the District.
- To report the use or sale of illegal fireworks, contact the DC Fire and Emergency Services Department's Fire Prevention Division at (202) 727-1600 or (202) 727-1614.
Staying Cool in the Heat: The Department of Parks and Recreation has adjusted spray park and pool hours for the holiday weekend. Spray parks will operate from 9:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Indoor pools will be closed on Tuesday, and outdoor pools will be open on Tuesday from 12:00-6:00 p.m. It will be hot, so take advantage of these if you can!
There is also a lengthy list of free DC-area Independence Day happenings that you might be interested in, along with a few fun neighborhood events below:
- Smithsonian Folklife Festival: Thursday, June 30, through Tuesday, July 4, along the National Mall (from 7th St. to 12th St. NW)
- Independence Day Concert at the National Cathedral: Tuesday, July 4, at 11:00 a.m. at the National Cathedral (3101 Wisconsin Ave. NW)
I'm looking forward to enjoying our celebrations of American freedom and wish you a safe, hydrated, and happy Independence Day.
10/16 Paid Leave Implementation Roundtable
October 15, 2019
Newsletter: Happy Fiscal New Year!
October 08, 2019
Fall 2019 Workforce Roundtables
October 01, 2019