Newsletter: Happy New Year! Open House & New Hires!
Posted by Elissa Silverman on January 17, 2020 at 5:16 PM
Happy New Year! Best wishes to you and your family for a joyous and healthy new year.
Almost all of us are back to our work and school schedules, and my staff and I are excited to hit the ground running this year to represent you on the critical issues that face our city. Ensuring that we are making the best investments of your tax dollars to create a pipeline of living wage jobs and affordable housing remains a major focus for me in 2020. Our investments in public education are absolutely critical to this. I have also challenged myself and my staff to think more boldly about how we can play a role in public safety and supporting efforts to interrupt and end gun violence. Additionally, this summer we will launch the paid family and medical leave program for District workers, and my committee will continue to work with the Department of Employment Services to do oversight of the program.
First things first, however: I am on the hunt for a few new colleagues in my office and will be hosting an office open house at the end of January. Keep reading for details!
Job Opportunities with My Office: I am looking to hire three stellar public servants to bring bold, creative ideas and new, diverse perspectives to my legislative agenda. If you care deeply about making the District of Columbia a city of opportunity for all, have a way with words, or boast a passion for equity, workforce development and labor issues, I hope you will take a look at the open positions to see if you or someone you know could be a good fit.
Please spread the word to your networks too!
Here are the current job openings:
Full job details and application directions are on the D.C. Council's website at dccouncil.us/jobs-solicitations.
Silverman Office Open House: Let’s talk labor and workforce development while noshing on some treats! I invite you to join me and my staff at a Silverman Office Open House on Friday, January 31! We'll provide light breakfast bites and coffee from 9:30-11:00am in my Labor Committee office at the Wilson Building (Room 115, 1350 Pennsylvania Ave. NW). All neighbors, advocates, workers, and businesses are encouraged to swing by if able! I look forward to hearing your priorities for 2020 and feedback on ways my office can better partner with you throughout this year.
Performance Oversight Season Is Here: It’s performance oversight season! The time has also come for my colleagues and I to review the annual performance of District agencies—which means this is your chance to let us know what is working well and what areas need improvement before we make budget decisions at the end of spring. I will begin performance oversight hearings for agencies within my Committee on Labor and Workforce Development in late February. An overview of my committee's hearing schedule is below, and the full Council schedule of performance oversight hearings is available here.
- Friday, February 21: Office of Human Resources & Office of Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
- Wednesday, March 4: Department of Employment Services & Workforce Investment Council (public witnesses only)
- Friday, March 6: Department of Employment Services & Workforce Investment Council (government witnesses only)
- 14th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Peace Walk & Parade: Monday, January 20, from 11:00am-2:00pm beginning at Good Hope Rd and MLK Ave. SE
- Paid Family Leave Implementation Roundtable: Thursday, January 30, beginning at 11:00am at the John A. Wilson Building (Room 123, 1350 Pennsylvania Ave. NW)
- Silverman Office Open House: Friday, January 31, from 9:30-11:00am at the John A. Wilson Building (Room 115, 1350 Pennsylvania Ave. NW)
- D.C. Housing Authority Transformation Plan Roundtable: Friday, January 31, beginning at 3:00pm at the John A. Wilson Building (Room 500, 1350 Pennsylvania Ave. NW)
- Bus to Work Day: Tuesday, February 4
- D.C. Council Black History Month Celebration: Friday, February 7, at 1:00pm at the John A. Wilson Building (1350 Pennsylvania Ave. NW)
I wish you a day of reflection and service as Martin Luther King Jr. Day approaches and hope to see you at my open house!
Thanks for reading.
Unemployment Insurance Hearing: September 16, 2020
August 05, 2020
Newsletter: Good Trouble
July 30, 2020